Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Miniature Cereal Box Craft


mini cereal boxes
Why wasn't I allowed to eat sweet, sugary cereal very often as a kid? I don't know, but I'm still bitter about it. I don't let my girls eat it very often either. Why? "Because MY mom wouldn't let ME, so now YOU will have to suffer as well!" Not really. The stuff is quite delicious. My favorite is Lucky Charms. I save all the marshmallows until the very final bites. On one recent occasion I splurged & bought a pack of those 8 mini boxes. My girls had never had Froot Loops, so I thought we'd sample. I do not consider myself a pack-rat. Or a hoarder. But rather, a keeper of the unusual. So, after we consumed the cereal, I kept the boxes, thinking, "These are really quite colorful & fun to look at! I MUST come up with some crafty way to use them." And so I have. It's a catch-all, or a mini organizer...haven't quite come up with a name yet. But they are cute & functional & those are my 2 favorite things! Please feel free to add your own ideas as well. Here are the steps...

Supplies needed...
Supplies Needed:
miniature cereal boxes
small scissors
super glue
magnets


Step 1
STEP 1
Cut off box top.


Step 2
STEP 2
Cut out "notched" section that is located on front & both sides of box. (At least the Kellogg brand cereals have this notch. I'm not sure of other brands.) The "notches" are just so you can get items in & out of your boxes more easily. You can also make the "notches" bigger if you want.


Step 3
STEP 3
Apply superglue to the back of magnet. E6000 would work well too. I tried a hot glue gun, & it didn't stick as flat to the box. One secret about magnets: Use the ones from businesses/restaurants that clutter your fridge! I used these "flat" style of magnets, because they cover a large amount of the box & ensure a strong magnetized grip. You could also use "button" magnets-I'd glue on 2 or 3 of those. Just make sure that whatever magnets you use are strong, because I have found some brands just sliiiiiide right down the fridge & don't serve a purpose except to annoy me!


Ta-da!TA-DA!
Stick 'em to the fridge & fill them with notepads & pens/pencils, coupons, memos, to-do lists, phone numbers, important info, recipes, reminders, phone lists....anything! You can also decorate them with fun papers & embellish with buttons, glitter, sequins, stickers, etc. It's a fun fridge organizer!



3 comments:

  1. Such a cool idea, cant wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh- that's brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got soft drink boxes (koolaid, OceanSpray etc)in my cupboard. What a cool way to reuse them. :)

    I just found your blog. Loving all your brilliant and creative ideas!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.