Thursday, April 23, 2009

A Farewell to MOPS.

My time as Creative Activities Leader with my MOPS group is almost done. (Mothers Of PreSchoolers). I have decided to pass the crafty torch.... It was a HUGELY hard decision to make.

I've been a part of MOPS for 5 years--4 of those years spent teaching crafty stuff each month. When I found MOPS, I was a new mom to 2 kidlets, & I found a definite escape & solitude at these once-a-month 2 hour meetings. I looked forward to this tiny window of time & found a safe place to share my current struggles (what sort of sick joke is this whole potty training business anyway?!, etc.), & even listen to other mom's experiences (& secretly found deep satisfaction when their stories were worse than mine!). It's where I learned that I wasn't the only one who battled the awful "mom guilt" that crept in at such inopportune times. It's where I learned that my new mommy counterparts craved adult interaction just as much as I did. It's where I realized that it was OK for me to not know what the heck I was doing, & being my best as a mom was the most excellent thing I could offer my children. (And one days best might differ from the next days best.)

Being in leadership as the Creative Activities Leader has helped me to step out of my comfort zone & I've gained so much confidence in myself & I found some really cool friends. I've always LOVED making stuff, but I didn't know how much I loved teaching other people how to make stuff until I was a part of MOPS. And it was a great excuse to learn some new techniques I've always wanted to try. I've served alongside a great team of ladies & it will not be easy to say goodbye.

Next May is my last meeting. And in June, for the weekend retreat set aside for planning the NEXT year's agenda, I will be an honorary attendee alongside my girls Tia & Jules (who are also graduating)---mostly there to whoop it up, have some giggles & celebrate the awesome times we've had!

I have been very happy to have my blog serve as a pit stop to those MOPS moms who have traveled, stumbled or purposefully found their way here for crafty ideas. My kooky craftiness will still be in full effect, so have no fear! I hope this blog can continue to be a place of inspiration for your creative activities each month. I LOVE getting your emails, answering your questions, giving advice & hearing the results of your monthly crafty MOPS endeavors.


I will always be a fan & cheerleader of MOPS. I hope I have left a crafty mark on my group & I hope they never forget "Nik Nik the Crafty Chik". Because, if I do say so myself: "I rocked it."

9 comments:

  1. Oh so sad. I'm sure your group will find it hard to tell you good bye. I would have loved to be in your group with your creative ideas (although I do love our CA chick!)

    MOPS is great for that "mom's time out" that we all need so much to make us better moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I first began stalking your blog from the MOPS Creative Activities forum! I'm sure your ladies are sad to see you go, but there are different seasons of life and I think the hardest part is knowing when to say good-bye to one and hello to the start of another.

    I hope God fills your empty time with something wonderful (and crafty!) so I can copy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. they're gonna miss ya!!! (and yer crafty skills!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so cute and fun! I bet they are really going to miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in MOPS in Pasadena for 3 years. This was my first year being out of it - as my daughter is a Kindergardner now!

    You will quickly fill up your time and think back to the great memories - but will have such peace that it is over and you're in a new phase of life!!

    Hugs to you - I'm sure your crafts were so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure they appreciated your years you dedicated to the program. It is time to move on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. kristi in st louisApril 23, 2009 8:53 PM

    I am sure your group will miss YOU (and your fun ideas too!). Just thought I would tell you that Meredith and I are working on some May Day "baskets" made from wallpaper samples...as we working today she pipes up with "Hey, Mama...we should take a picture of these and send it to Nicki's blog. I think she would realy like our idea!" I tell you...you are like a rock star to her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww, so sad. I know they will miss you and you them. But as someone has said, that time will quickly be filled with new adventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you made a great decision! To stay in a role too long is not east for the person that follows you. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.