Saturday, May 23, 2009

Close Encounters of the Waspy Kind.

True story.
On Thursday I was watching "The Bee Movie" with my 2 year old nephew. He fell asleep on the couch while I sat near him sewing. All of a sudden a BEE flew in my house! I ran!!!! And then I realized that there was a poor, helpless, snoozing bitty boy that I couldn't just bail on. So I trapped the bee in a jar & let him go free outside.

The NEXT day we watched "The Bee Movie" again. Later on I found a dead wasp on my floor. (I think I will steer clear of bug movies for a while.)


Anyway, being the picture-obsessed gal that I am, I grabbed my camera--& the wasp. The girls & I had lots of fun examining & investigating this little creature. Zoey grabbed her magnifying glass-- & I had an idea!
I started to get an even closer view of our little {dead} friend with the combination of my camera + the magnifying glass. My sweet picture-taker is a little point-n-shoot Kodak Easyshare C663 with 3x optical zoom. (It's been good to me, but I dream of someday owning a big-girl camera.) The magnifying glass gave me a little more "zoom" & it was really fun to take pictures this way!

13 comments:

  1. Yuck I hate wasps! They keep getting into our house and I'm freaked out because I'm allergic. It is really cool how you got such a close up view though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate wasps too, they scare me. I once through a cup of hot chocolate over David, when one came near me.

    However in the top picture he looks kind of cute.

    Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool! I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are so great. I love honey bees and bumble bees. I am not so found of those other mean bees. They are amazing creatures aren't they!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool pictures. I have the same problem with my point and shoot. I love taking closeups, but if you get that thing too close the camera thinks it's smarter than you and refuses to focus. I like the idea of using the magnifying glass, I will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know- don't feel bad. I totally freak out with anything that flies. On Olivia's 1st birthday, she was swarmed with wasps because she was covered in cake frosting. Yah- you can guess who wasn't helping!!! Luckily- Matt has the super resistance to any kind of sting since he attracts them and is stung like once a day by something. :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasps...scary....
    Love the fun pics you got though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't rent Ants! LOL! I love the idea of trying to take pictures through the mag. glass. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so BRAVE! I would have been in tears. I live in fear of wasps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You may not know, but a dead wasp (or bee or hornet) can still sting you. I've had it happen and I am allergic to them. Not good. Since you didn't mention it in your post, I am guessing you did not get stung.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great idea using the magnifying glass with the camera. I would have thought you had a fancy camera cause your photos are always really good! :-) Cute bee pics.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.