Saturday, December 12, 2009

Happy Sticks



I have my first "ladies" event at church tomorrow since I've arrived in Bridgeport. The women are getting together for a Christmas party. We'll be having a candle exchange AND a chocolate exchange. (Instead of a cookie exchange. Doesn't that sound pleasantly nifty?!?!)


I needed a quick & fast idea, so my pal Tia came through with her pretzel rods. I call 'em Happy Sticks. They were just what I needed: they are very easy to make! (And sorry for the awesome kitchen lighting in the photos. I made the rods mostly at night.)


I bought a bag of that Almond Bark stuff (mine wasn't called Almond Bark though) & it comes in those rectangle blocks. I melted all 12 blocks, purchased 3 bags of pretzel rods (not all were used & they can be found in the chip aisle) & squeezed out 86 chocolate covered pretzels.


Just melt your chocolate, dip your pretzel in the choclate (spoon it on, leaving anywhere from 1-2" at the end uncovered) & lay it on wax paper to dry. When it's dry, melt white chocolate & drizzle it on. My drizzle technique needs some work.




I stuck 3 each in cheapo bags I got from Walmart & then tied it off with torn strips of fabric. Nothin' fancy pants about it!




There are many variations you could experiment with as far as chocolate used, coloring & flavor. (Add some green food coloring & mint flavoring to the white chocolate!)
Cheers to happy & easy homemade sweets! (This one is good ANY time of year too!)

12 comments:

  1. They look very festive - perfect for a chocolate exchange (and yes, that does sound better than plain old cookies).

    ReplyDelete
  2. those church ladies are gonna love ya nik! you'll be running the local craft group in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dip my pretzels in caramel first. Cool, then dip in chocolate. I am a fool for caramel. This yeat I am thinking about using thick twists (not the huge dutch ones, just not the skinny twists) and laying them on parchment, the pouring the caramel and chocolate over them. I am thinking it would be less work, but still taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought my pretzels yesterday to make some of these when I start my holiday baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My little girl and I made these yesterday, and added a lot of sprinkles! Well, ate a lot of sprinkles:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY! I just did these but with regular pretzels- like the little bowtie ones. I also made my first batch of chocolate truffles. EASY and to die for. YUM-O!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am craving these SO bad lately ~ yours look yummy, I am going to have to make some. A tip for the drizzle ~ put it in a sandwich bag, cut a tiny hole in one corner, then you can squeeze out a nice uniform stream. Hope you and yours are settling in nicely, can't wait to see more pics of the new surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make these every year at christmas! it's fun to add sprinkles or penuts or white chocolate and candy cane bits!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. is that a box to put your wax paper in?!!?!!! i l.o.v.e. it. where, oh where did you find it?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is that a vintage wax paper dispenser? My grandma had one hung in her kitchen and I have been wanting one. I'm insanely jealous that you somehow found a pink one. Tell me you just painted it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I guess I also should have commented on the pretzel rods. A friend of mine swirls hers with melted caramels and chocolate. I don't want to tell you what to dip your rods in ... but they are most excellent that way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.