Friday, December 18, 2009

A Spoon. A Story.




A woman met with her pastor to discuss her final wishes, as she only had a very short time to live. After they discussed the plans for the funeral, she remembered one final request that was very important to her. She said, "I want to be buried holding a spoon in my right hand." The pastor gazed at the woman, at a loss for words. "That surprises you, doesn't it?" the woman asked. "You see, Pastor, in all my years of attending potluck dinners, I remember that when the dishes were being cleared, someone would lean over to me & say, 'Keep your spoon.' I knew then that something better was coming, like velvety chocolate cake or deep dish apple pie...something wonderful to end the meal!" As the pastor listened a smile came upon his face. The woman continued, "So, I just want people to see me in the casket with a spoon in my hand & I want them to wonder, 'What's with the spoon?'" Then I want you to tell them: "Keep your spoon--the best is yet to come." The pastor's eyes welled up with tears of joy as he hugged her good-bye.
So, the next time you reach for your spoon, let it remind you, oh so gently, that the best is yet to come.


My friend, Julie, gave this spoon & story to me before I left Washington. It is such a sweet gift & I wanted to share it with you. (I am not sure who to credit the story to.)
I have a big stash of vintage spoons & I'll be making them into ornaments like the one Julie gave me, for the ladies of my church on Sunday. I love the hope in the message & the reminder of good things ahead. Not only when my days here in this world are over, but every day there are good things to look forward to. And I keep in mind & heart the important things that matter.
Especially this season.
Merry Christmas!


23 comments:

  1. i like the story. love the ornament idea. am thinking of turning this into something tasty as well though. what do you think of those chocolate dipped spoons w/ sprinkles on top or crushed candy cane for mixing hot cocoa with? would be cute. perhaps i'll get going on that this weekend. great little last minute gift idea! thanks for sharing your cool gift with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is such a sweet story! Thank you for sharing. I just lost my great grandmother this last month, i wish i could share this story with her. in her honor would you mind if i too make a spoon ornament and share this story with my dear friend who stood with me as i lost my great grandmother?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog - lots of wonderful ideas.

    But so far, this is my favorite. I know I've heard the story before, but to make it into a gift is truly a beautiful idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what amazing story! merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love when a spoon can make you cry. Awesome little reminder. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so lovely. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet gift
    thank you for sharing the story.
    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story.

    Thanks, for sharing!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  9. aweosme! what do you use to put a hole in the spoon to hang?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I purchased a titanium drill bit. Just 1/8" size.
    It drills through the spoon like butta!

    ReplyDelete
  11. get this story in email form often, it as been passed around for years now. If you check it on SNOPES you will get the orgin of the story.
    I love how you turned it into such a awsome idea. I hope you don't mind if i take it a run with it too.
    LOVE YA, and Hope your Christmas in the House & town is a wonderful one. And that you & the family have Great Blessings in your new year to come..

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's beautiful. What a wonderful gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having Christmas stress today and went to your blog b/c it always makes me smile. I always tell people I have different categories of blogs I read and yours falls into the "warm fuzzies" category. This was the perfect post to snap me out of it and realize what's really important. Thanks! I'm so happy to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank you so much for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's such a cool story!

    We missed your awesomeness at the party Thursday but Tia shared your FABULOUS Dragon Dictation Christmas carol! Oh What Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it, I've got to pass this on to a few friends!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely story. I'm sure the ladies at church will love this story and the meaning behind the spoons. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've heard that story many times - usually with a fork, not that it matters - and have always enjoyed it. Never would it have occurred to me though to hang the story and utensil as an ornament - I LOVE the idea, I may have to do something like that for in my kitchen so it can be a daily reminder.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi. I heard this story except with a fork substituted for the spoon. When my mother passed away I recited this story as her eulogy for her funeral. Thanks for posting the story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely story....lovely idea too. A friend of mine was moving to Saudi Arabia a few years ago. Since we had such a close neighbourhood we wanted to present them with a special gift to remember us and our wonderful friends. We collected a spoon or knife or fork from every neighbour and my friends husband msde it into a windchime. She cried when she saw it. It hung in her kitchen and she said that when it chimed it sounded like us sending her a message and talking to her from far away. She is back in Canada now and that wind chime still hangs somewhere special.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful first impression this spoon will give the ladies in your church of who you are-beautiful and genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi nikki, i have translated the story and put it on my blog, i wonder all italians who read me can enjoy. i hope this will not hurt you!
    happy new year
    katia

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah! I made your blog. I'm honored you shared the spoon/fork story and ornament with your readers. What nice comments you get!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.