Monday, May 24, 2010

Summer Break: Day 4


The girls & I made oven baked clay today. I got the recipe from one of my favorite books: Weekends with the Kids by Sara Perry.
The recipe is simply mixing a 1 pd. box of baking soda with 1 CUP of cornstarch in a pot. Add 1 1/2 CUPS of water & stir on med-low heat until it forms a ball. Then scoop it out onto a lightly cornstarched area until it cools enough to handle. Knead until smooth. Wrap tightly in saran wrap when not in use. Stores for up to 3 weeks in the fridge.
Ours never really formed a ball & was a bit sticky, so as I was kneading I kept dusting with lots of cornstarch.
The girls & I just played with the clay today. We'll bake with it tomorrow. I found some fun projects to make. I'll cue you in on the rest of the recipe tomorrow--the "oven" part.

And later this evening while daddy was out taking the 5 year old on a date, Zoey & I made friendship bracelets. The how-to for the easy knotting technique we used is found HERE & from none other than my favorite crafty chik Jessica, a.k.a. jek-in-the-box.
Tomorrow the Summer Reading Program at the library begins. Yay! I'm glad to have some help in entertaining my kidlets during some of these summer days!

3 comments:

  1. Loved the idea, but could you specify the quantities of the ingredients? (specifically the basking soda... in oz or preferably grams... if available).

    thanks
    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gigi!
    The 1 pound box is 16 ounces.
    Have fun!
    ♥ Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! thanks for this idea! My 4 year old and I did it today and I went to Argostarch.com/playclay.asp and found some cute ideas. The recipe on there called for 1 1/4 c. of water, so maybe that's why yours was so sticky? We have had so much fun, but I'm pretty sure I'll be cleaning up cornstarch for a while:) Tomorrow we bake and paint!
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.