Monday, April 6, 2009

DIY Screen Printing

Some of you have asked how I do my screen printing. Weeell, last year I found a tutorial on the Thread Banger blog & it is AWESOME! I've had so much fun with my new-found crafty knowledge!! So, in this post I'm just showing you pictures of my DIY screen printing journey, with my own tips listed along the way. But please VISIT HERE for the Thread Banger tutorial.

  • I found all my embroidery hoops at thrift stores.
  • I just use the "graphics" program 'PAINT' to draw up simple shapes to print out.
  • The fabric I used is a sheer curtain fabric. At JoAnne's it's hung in the section with all those long round bolts of fabric hung horizontal on the racks, among all the decorative home decor fabrics.

  • The Mod Podge part takes the longest. But, just take your time & get it all covered as evenly as you can & it'll be SOOOO worth it!

  • I use Speedball Fabric Ink & ordered it online.
  • I didn't have one of those fancy little screen printing squeegees, so I used a stiff piece of cardboard, & later reverted to my un-used laminated gym membership card. (haha!)
In the shop I have custom screen printed cupcake pillows & screen printed mushroom cards for sale. Look for more screen printed goodness coming soon!

  • There are other methods of DIY screen printing I've seen that involve paper stencils.
  • Screen printing Starter Kits are also available for sale.
Any questions? Please ask & I'll respond in the comments section so everyone gets to be part of any Q&A!
Happy Screen Printing!

24 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the link and info!! I had no idea it was so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah so that's what screen printing is. I have seen it mentioned on different blogs, but never saw what it was or how to do it. So thanks for this post! ;D I'll have to try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LUV LUV LUV & greatly appreciate your generosity in sharing this juicy craftiness! thanks oodles, i can't wait to attempt this with my 11 yr old. she's gonna SO dig this! =) have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a t-shirt like that! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! And HAPPY early BIRTHDAY! Hope you have a great day, er, week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats Fantastic! I knew there was an easier way to manage this than what I had seen around the blog-o-sphere. Love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So funny, I was catching up on your blog, so I viewed this post by scrolling up, and just by looking at your pictures I thought to myself it looks like you screenprinted using the Threadbangers way. LOL! I was excited that I was right when I finally read the post but now I also see that I am a big dork. LOL! Oh well, I'm a dork and proud. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this same tutorial from them saved on my computer, but I haven't tried it yet. Thank you for reminding me! Hey, do you have any extra time you can lend me so I can get to this???

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rock my socks! Thank you, I would have never known!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for this! It's great!! I was just wondering about the 'sheer curtain fabric'... do you mean curtain netting or just very lightweight curtain fabric (I think I've seen some of this used as curtain linings??).
    Thank you so much, Nas :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay so silly question...do you reuse it, or start over each time?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life with boys: No, not a silly question!
    I reuse it. I have several little screens hanging in my art studio. I'm sure I'll have a large collection in no time. I know that they won't last forever, but I'm not sure what they're lifespan is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are my craft GODDESS! Thanks SOOOOO much for this little tut! I am so excited to test this out now! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi -

    My name is Bethany Marcello, and I work for the yet-to-be-launched Craftfoxes.com - a crafting and social networking site. We're putting together some great stuff for our upcoming launch, featuring everything from quilting to sewing to crafting and baking.

    I came across this picture of the screen printing tutorial (the mosiac where the ink has just been spread and then we also see the finished T-shirt) on your site and was wondering if you would grant us permission to use it? We'd give you a link to your site.

    Thanks for your consideration!

    Bethany Marcello
    http://craftfoxes.com
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15312551941#!/pages/CraftFoxes/153289901371436
    http://twitter.com/craftfoxes

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great use of gym membership card! lol
    Thanks for this diy, I don't have these supplies but may have to get them...
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  16. This...is....AWESOME!! Thank you for sharing, I cant wait to test it out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are AWESOME!
    Thanks so much for this wonderful article and link!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you. Used it to make a number of shirts. Truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

  19. Hello dear.You have written a great post. Going to share with my followers on twitter. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't find the correct link for the threadbangers tutorial. Can you repost the link? It just goes to their main youtube page.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bummer! They must have changed the link. I've updated it in the blog post. Here it is:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkZh6p8OVfI
      Have fun!

      Delete
  21. So do you just rinse it when done so that it can be used again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Maritza! Just rinse it off & let it dry. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.