Thursday, May 28, 2009

Organization

I've decided that instead of cleaning, cleaning, cleaning, I need to ORGANIZE. Obviously, if I'm cleaning all the time, the organization I currently have IS NOT WORKING. If everything had a place, a special place, then I am certain I'd be cleaning less & making less messes. Last weekend I did a satisfactory job of sorting our basement, where loads of boxes have been sitting over a year--unopened & housing many a crafty & thrifty thing. I got rid of so much junk. It felt good! I am now tackling my art studio & shipping station. And after seeing THIS whimsical organizing idea, I had to incorporate it into my creative space! The picture above is the BEFORE.
And here is the "AFTER".....
I already had a rope hanging above the window with strips of vintage & new fabric knotted & hanging down. The idea was taken from a display I saw several years ago at an Anthropologie store. (And, oddly enough, this style of "shabby curtain" was one of the first handmade things I sold when I started my little crafty adventure a few years ago.)
Now my spools of ribbon & scissors all hang at an easy-to-find reach.

You can use any number of hanging hardware to loop your scissors or other crafty supplies to. (See first picture in this post.) Another idea, not pictured, are "S" hooks. I chose to use these cafe curtain clips.

Now I'm off to tackle my bin full of random lengths of ribbon. I decided I'd like to SEE my supplies, so I'm opting for more clear jars, see-thru containers, things out in the open. I'm sure it will make for a much more tidy space-- and a much less frustrated crafty chik.

15 comments:

  1. Very cool idea Nikki!

    I sure wish my sewing machine was working. :0(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to store and keep things handy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. At the first picture I was trying to figure what kind of curtain that was!
    You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute idea. Is the ribbon going to be easy to get down when you need it though- or are those rolls just for show.

    When I owned my gift shop I made a window treatment at christmas with different christmas ornament balls hanging from different length and width sheer metallic ribbons from a branch (laid on curtain rod brackets). Numerous customers walked through the door just to ask me about it. Especially the big glittery "2000" one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that idea! Too bad I don't have a window in my sewing closet. I have to say though I might get creeped out by the doll heads staring at me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina--the ribbon will be very easy to get down. In fact, I don't have to get it down at all. I simply unroll however much I need & cut!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow such a cool idea, love it.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have talked to the workers at Anthropologie before. Apparently they have designers for each store and they have to stay within a "theme". For example in NYC last year, they had to use tacky santas and old ornament balls so she just rode with the theme and had an awesome window! Or they will say, make it a farm theme. It is a fun place to get ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It even looks more creative! I love looking at the spaces in your house. They have so many interesting things. Thanks for the reply about the fork easel. I checked out the shop and think I might wait for one of the fancy ones to come along. It is for a sideboard and I think some fuss will suit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! It would be great at a craft show, as well....Oooh. I'm definitely bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You little minx! I didn't know you liked my ribbon organizer idea this much! It looks fantastic! Thanks for linking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so good! I have this bin of yarn and live in an apartment and I am just at a loss to figure out how to "display" these items better. But something definitely has got to give!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome workstation! I think I'll have to give something similar a try. Now if only I could work out how to do this and not have the kids constantly "borrowing" my supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How completely awesomely cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is FABULOUS! Super unique and so much fun! I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.