Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Whimsical Fairy Doors Tutorial

The girls & I just finished a 2-day project & we're so excited to share it with you! I recently found these Fairy Doors on Flickr & immediately fell in love. Ann Arbor, MI even has tours of secretly hidden fairy doors scattered around the city!
First, I cut some rounded door shapes, with a jigsaw, from a leftover piece of wainscoting/bead board. Any type of wood will work though as long as it's not too thick.
We spray painted the doors. House paint or exterior paint would work too.
Earlier in the summer we collected all sorts of fallen twigs, pine cones & acorns, etc to use for this project. We covered a table with newspaper & set out the twigs-n-stuff, along with acrylic paints, brushes, water bowls & paper towels.
You can leave your twigs natural, but we decided to add a bit of whimsy & paint them bright colors.

When your twigs are dry, you can adhere them to the door. First we played around with the design, getting the sticks to lay however we chose. Then, we applied floor & wall adhesive (the same stuff you use to lay tile floors) to our twigs & mushed it into place. I would've opted first to use my E6000 glue or even wood glue, but both those things are hard for my girls to use & I liked the spreadable texture of the floor adhesive. It is a bit stinky, so use ventilation or do this project outdoors. Wearing gloves is a good idea too.
I told the girls to really glop it on--so that it would stick. I really like the look of the adhesive oozing through the branches too. I suppose you could clean it up as you go along if that's not your style.
We constructed extra accessories for our fairy door with clay. (Fimo or Sculpey). I made some door hinges ...
...a mushroom doorknob & a "window". The window is just a small piece of round mirror I had. The girls used lids from the frosting of cinnamon roll tubes I saved. We just made snake-like shapes, wrapped it around the "window" & baked it in the oven just like that. I also added some leaves 'cause I thought mine looked a bit twiggish.
Zoey's door (my almost 7 year old):
Find a sweet little place to prop (or attach) your fairy door.
The fairies & pixies will know your kindness & hospitality when they see your magical & whimsical creations!
Here's my finished door:

Pazely's door (my 5 year old):

21 comments:

  1. I LOVE it! We are hoping to make it to the Fairy House Festival in Portsmouth, NH soon! This is definitely being added to our must do list!

    http://www.prescottpark.org/fairyhouse.cfm

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, Em's been begging me for a Fairy Door for our yard. We just made a fairy house this weekend and set it up in the backyard but now I think we'll have to make some fairy doors as well!! I always save the crescent roll silver rounds to use as coins when we play store in our play kitchen -- I love them as the little door windows/mirrors -- genius. You are a woman after my own heart. Wish you lived next door!! Fondly, MaryLea (pink and green mama)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful they are! Now I have to make me some!! Everyone needs a fairy or two in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. N - Where do you FIND these ideas? And can I borrow your girls? I have a boy. He just wants to play with cars... I want to make fun girl things... :( - H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fab idea for the "mirror/window"! I have seen the fairy doors on the internet before...such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cute, perfect project for little girls, sadly my boy just doesn't 'do' fairies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I live near Ann Arbor and they are soo cute and fun!! It's such a neat city anyhow it just adds to the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are so cute - you did a great job. Looks like a super fun project for the kiddos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love fairy doors but I catch are frogs and frogs sort of creep me out (just a little bit). Especially when you're expecting a fairy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so adorable! I LOVE it. In the Family Fun Magazine last month they had Enchanted Toadstools to put in a mini garden, it's so cute! Your door reminded me of that.

    http://jas.familyfun.go.com/crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=12171

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! We are making some THIS weekend! Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dagnabbit! Why couldn't you have made these 2 weeks ago??? Fairy party tomorrow... Same with Crafty Crow. Have to do it for next year's party! Thanks for the inspiration! :) I'll post about our 2 party from this summer and send you a link!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute idea! I linked to this post in my Friday Favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWW! How darling. I love the little windows, they're so sweet! Thanks so much for the fun idea, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My family is moving to a new house today, and this is one of the crafts I am going to be doing with the kids in the next few weeks! I think it will help with the transition :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is Perfect! We have a fairy tree in our backyard and I know my girls will love making a door (or two) for the fairies:)
    Thankyou and I will be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are beautiful! Great idea to use wainscoting. We made some out of salt dough last spring and the kids loved it. http://magical-mama.livejournal.com/11442.html Ours were indoor fairy houses though, since salt dough would probably not hold up well to the elements. :)
    ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it ! I have no words for it and just want to say that it absolutely awesome.. This darling to me. I love your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello: I would like to know if I can add your link into my blog. I am talking about fairy doors and promise to write about how to make fairy doors and your tutorial is excellent. If you agree please email me at: www.fairywingsboutique.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.