Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Awake.

As I write this, I should be in bed. The alarm will go off in 6 1/2 hours. And then I'll arise from my back-achin' slumber & help my big girl, Zoey, get ready for her 1st day of 1st grade. Her new clothes are all laid out right now & she went to bed SO happy & excited for her new adventure! She & I had a sneak peek of her classroom & tested out her locker & met her teacher & scoped out some of the kids that would be in her class. The thing she is MOST looking forward to at school this year is being able to EAT LUNCH IN THE CAFETERIA! Awesomeness. I wonder if I'll cry tomorrow. I'll let you know.

I'm also frantically trying to focus on Zoey's upcoming birthday party. The theme is "Paper Dolls", with an old-fashioned twist. This is a toughie. Especially 'cause I'm {once again} doing things last-minute. I've found some adorable PDF paper doll images from vintage McCall mags. I'm so giddy over them!! But I'm searching site after site after site for some fun old fashioned games & crafts to do with the girls at the party. Any ideas or favorites out there? I plan on decorating the party with those paper doll paper chains & teaching the girls to make them too. So, stuff like that. Simple. Fun. Old fashioned. (I'm thanking you in advance for helping me brainstorm. You're swell like that.)

Ok, I'll go to bed now.

12 comments:

  1. how about making a life sized Zoey and some plain paper (to be decorated at the party) outfit(?). That is about all I can come up with, it's been a long day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just emailed you (sorry misspelt your name )

    ReplyDelete
  3. too bad you don'tdhave a cricut expression cutting machine. they have 2 cartridges with paper dolls, that are absolutely amazing.

    i am sorry, i don't have ideas for you. but the party sounds really neat. can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, cool party theme! how about activities from that book, "The Daring Book for Girls?" I don't own it, because my daughter is too old, but I just LOVE flipping through it every time I see it in the bookstore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to Zoey on her first day of first grade!! And about that birthday party...ok, I grew up in those vintage paper doll days (feeling old now, thank you Nikki). For my birthday party we played hopscotch and drew on a big piece of butcher paper my dad taped to the garage. Now those are some vintage party games! :) Oh, and the party favor was a little paper cup of mixed nuts...good times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY! If you go to Michaels they have a really cute paper doll stamp set. The stamps are clear, and you get two dolls ( a boy and a girl) and then accessories! I am going to buy these on payday so Olivia and I can make paper doll magnets for the fridge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made paper dolls out of magnet paper for my son. I printed out the blanks from this lovely person on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hollimichele/sets/72157600607669052/) & had him & his buddy color them with markers. They live on the fridge now & he plays with them all the time. If you don't want to do magnets, just coloring them could be a craft? Here's my post on the subject: http://dashislittle.blogspot.com/2009/03/dolls-are-for-boys.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you have to do bobbing for apples! It's really refreshing on a hot day! And potato sack races!

    ReplyDelete
  9. blow up one of those paper dolls and you can do pin the broach or hair bow on her..I did this with rainbow brite when mine girl was liitle pinned the star on her face...It is always great fun...

    can print the paper dolls out in black abnd white and let them color thier own...

    or make cards (2sets) with different paper dolls to play the match game for a prize....

    best I can do..have fun...and go ahead and cry...thats what makes the best memories..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny - I JUST bought a vintage party games for kids book at the library this past weekend. I'll check it out and see if I can find anything fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about pin the frock on the doll..or shoe or hat or something. Blow up one of your dolls. Dress up relay. Dolly towels. I might have to email this idea...involves a bit of screen printing prior to the party. Let me know if you want it. Pass the parcel. Muscial chairs. Hope that helps. Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. paper dolls make me feel all cozy inside-love that your little one is into them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.