Monday, April 11, 2011

Foil Dinners


I recently made foil dinners for my birthday. The first time I made them was when Tia & I grilled some around a campfire a couple summers ago--on one of the hottest days of the year. I think it was 105 degrees or something?? We were dorks.

Foil dinners are so easy to make! And fun, too! The kids can get involved making their own---choosing whichever meat & veggies they prefer.

I used hamburger, but you can use whatever meat you want--cooking times will just vary. All you do is grab 2 pieces of foil, about 12 inches, & double them up. Shape a burger patty--salt & pepper it up--& place it (uncooked) in the middle of the foil. I would use a burger that doesn't have a lot of fat in it. 85/15 is what I used. Next, chop up all sorts of veggies. I used carrots, little red potatoes, & celery. What about asparagus? Zucchini? Onions? Etc. I cut them no bigger than 1". I also opened a can of green beans & sprinkled some of those on. What about canned corn? Canned peas? Etc.
I plopped all the veggies on top of the patty.

Now you'll open a can of cream-of-chicken soup & place 3 heaping spoonfulls on top of the veggies. Cream of mushroom soup would work too. (But I hate mushrooms! BLECK.)

Sprinkle everything with your favorite seasoning. I have a seasoning salt I like to use to flavor food. And also a mesquite burger seasoning which is quite yummy.

Meet two sides of the foil in half & fold down tightly. Fold the remaining ends up tigtly as well. Make sure the juices won't leak out.

Place the foil packets in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Check after 45 minutes & see if the meat is cooked & the veggies are tender. It will be REALLY juicy & VERY hot!

I fit 8 packets in my oven--these make GREAT leftovers for lunch!
Try making foil dinners with strips of steak. Or, chicken tenders with veggies---sprinkled with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, & herbs. Mmmm...

Click HERE for some foil dinner recipes from Cooks.com
Happy Foiling & Munching!!


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! This is a really neat idea and quick clean up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! I'll have to check out that link... though, I don't use cans of anything so I'll have to get creative on the soup part. One question, is that picture before or after it was cooked? I'm just curious to see what it looks like when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nadine!
    Good question! That picture is "before". It looks kinda gross there, but yes---I should get some "after" photos. At the time I hadn't planned on doing a blog post about them. So, I wasn't my usual snap-happy self.
    Oh darn, guess I'll have to make a yummy dinner again real soon! :0
    (I'll add some "after" pics soon...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea! Easy clean-up, too! Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's really helpful to spray some cooking spray on the foil before loading it up. Despite how juicy it gets, it seems that something always sticks. Especially if you throw in cheese and things like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.