Wednesday, June 15, 2011

JUNE Crafty Night: FINDERS! KEEPERS!


 It was a sparse crew for Crafty Night last night. I blame summer & all the busy schedules---& the fact that I was so busy myself that I didn't have time to send out postcard reminders. No biggie though! We had a small crew, yet the fun was GRAND!
We started out the night with a sidewalk weenie roast & hot dog bar. Chili, cheese, sauerkraut, onions...YUM!!
And then we all packaged up handmade items we had brought. We sealed them in ziploc baggies & included some information about Crafty Night. The basic concept for doing the handmade drop was inspired by The Toy Society. I specifically wanted Crafty Night to give a little bit of happy to the community. And in no way did I intend to take away anything that The Toy Society is doing.


 We packaged up 36 bags & broke into two teams to deliver our goodies.
It was so special for me to have my 8 year old out there with us too!
She told me over & over how much fun she had.


One of my favorite drops was on a bench outside the library.
My other favorite was on top of this slide at the playground.



The teams joined up back at the Crafty Night base & ate ice cream bars.
Everyone left with homemade English Muffin Bread that the girls (sorta) helped me bake earlier in the afternoon.
I'm excited to hear about any possible stories of "strangers" that found the goodies. Just minutes after making our drop, we drove around to see if any had disappeared--& already one was missing. YAY! And after returning home from Crafty Night, I was facebooking with a friend & she shared how one of Zoey's classmates from school had found a few of our crafty treats around town---& it happened to be his birthday & he was so excited!!
You can view all the pics from June's Crafty Night by clicking HERE.

To view Finder's! Keeper's! from 2012, click HERE.

UPDATE:

I'll be posting any responses I get from the Crafty Night FINDERS! KEEPERS! drops here... (yay!)


Nikki-

   My boys thought it was like manna from heaven last night. Joshua in particular thought the bags were placed out in celebration of his 9th birthday!
   We were taking our walk and noticed a first bag containing a bug catcher necklace -- Joshua thought it was cool and grabbed it! Joshua proudly wore his new bug catcher necklace on the way home.
   We walked by several bags on our now new quest to help Jonah find a bag for him. He eyed a rather large and bulky bag and called out that was his.... He grabbed it and ripped open the package much like Bam Bam and out popped a fuzzy pillow! Jonah had to sleep on his new pillow and even was on the look out for a blanket to go with it!
   Both boys were so delighted and then got the giggles as to why someone would do this.
  Thanks for making their night and thanks for letting me know about the Crafty Nights.
-Lisa Bryan

•••••

Lucky me, Lucky me. What a great mid-week surprise to come to work this morning and find a hondmade craft on the bench outside the library. Glad I was the first one in this morning. Love my owl, elf and cat. Thanks Crafty Night.

-Tammy Covalt
•••••

6 comments:

  1. Lucky me, Lucky me. What a great mid-week surprise to come to work this morning and find a hondmade craft on the bench outside the library. Glad I was the first one in this morning. Love my owl, elf and cat. Thanks Crafty Night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely idea. What sort of things are in the bags?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this may be my favorite idea that you've posted! And that's saying a LOT! You've inspired me once again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Tammy!! They are finger puppets, too!

    Phyllis--One crafty member crocheted a ton of doilies. I included things like: a bug catcher, 2 nest egg necklaces, an owlie ornament, 2 baby onesies, 2 circular pot holders that I thrifted (but were handmade), & finger puppets. Others included: small pillows, blankets, plastic canvas earring holders, lace ornaments, beaded keyrings, jersey knit bracelet, knitted scarf...

    ReplyDelete
  5. this makes me smile. not only the awesome sliding picture either haha. there is nothing better than getting to keep something you found :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.