Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Summer Diary Day 25: Bread Bakin' & Givin'


Dear summer diary,
I don't think the first part of this "fun thing" for today was very fun at all for the girls. Makin' messes? Who doesn't love makin' messes? I sure know how to make one when I bake. Or pretty much step anywhere near the kitchen.
I decided to bake 20 mini loaves of English Muffin Bread as favors for Crafty Night. And I decided to recruit the help of my girls.

Well, they weren't THAT much help.

Except when it came to the sniffin'...

...the toasty melty buttery spreadin'...

...& the eatin'!

I take that back. Zoey did help me prepare {some} of the pans with oil & cornmeal.
And, after the bread was cooled, Pazely helped me to decorate {some} of the loaf pans with colored string & paper beads.


For those interested, here is the recipe I used:
5 1/2 - 6 CUPS flour
2 packages of yeast
1 TB salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1TB sugar
2 CUPS milk
1/2 CUP water
Combine 3 CUPS flour, yeast, salt, baking soda & sugar. Heat liquids until very warm. Add to dry mixture, beat well. Stir in enough more flour to make a stiff batter. Spoon into 2 loaf pans that have been greased & sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover & let rise in warm place for 45 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from pans immediately & cool.
(I used mini loaf pans & cooked them for about 18 minutes. Time may vary.)
Here they are, all packaged up & ready to pass out at Crafty Night!
And where were my girls while I was finishing up this big task? Sharing a blanket outside under a tree, while relaxing in the sunshine. With bread crumbs still clinging to their messy summer faces.

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.