Wednesday, October 8, 2008

R.I.P. T.V.

Isn't this picture weird? My 4-year old picked out a package of plastic animals at the dollar store recently. It had a strange assortment including: kangaroos, deer, giraffe, goats, rhinos & this green polka-dotted moose. Very odd. And yet....awesome. It makes me want to paint all her other animals wild & wacky colors. She might just wake up one morning & find her safari/barnyard friends all punked out.

I failed to mention, 3 weeks ago, that my fam & I had our TV turned off. Not just turned off, but we don't have cable anymore. It was a random, spur of the moment decision between Mr. WhiMSy love & I. We're not anti-TV, but we thought we'd give it a try until the first of the new year.....

I cheat sometimes though. I turn on the tv & "watch" one of the two lonely remaining channels that my antennae can get----The Game Show Network or Comedy Central. Pathetic, I know. But, I like having the background noise when I'm cleaning (which I rarely do) or when I'm crafting, blogging, packing orders, etc.

The instant the cable guy took our digital cable box & left, we panicked! The girls & I started running around the house screaming, waving our hands in the air, jumping on the couches, our faces full of woeful expression. What were we to do? Our longtime companion, Mr. TV Cable Box, had been kidnapped. And Mr. Cable Box's friend, 'The TV', was pretty much dead & useless.
So now we'll do anything to pass the time, such as: read together, bake together, play games, have tickle wars, tell dorky stories, craft much MUCH more, visit & chat, do puzzles, set up dolly tea parties, have backyard adventures, cuddle, sing......Hmmm. Imagine that.

10 comments:

  1. I love that moose. Too cute.

    We got rid of DirecTV about 3 months ago. I don't miss it. I don't miss paying $55 a month either. We joined a gym instead though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the...that is way cool!

    I rarely watch my tv. I watch comedy central online and everything else I find on hulu. Much cheaper! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fellow MOPS mom here...we got rid of our cable right before we got married 3 years ago and I have to say it's great! (Although at the time my husband to be suggested it, I said NO WAY and thought he was some freak). We still have the normal broadcast channels with our HD antennae but without all those channels and no more TiVO our watching time is cut back so much. We rent movies and TV shows but mainly do more "family" stuff, like Family Game Night with our two kids and actually talk at the dinner table without the tv on. I highly recommend it! Of course we both sometimes wish that we had certain channels but really, it's a blessing for us and saves us money each month too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute moose and I love the idea of no TV - what fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You brave, brave girl! I don't know what I'd do without The Office, Heroes or Lost whenever it decides to come back and grace us with it's wonderful presence! Although....HULU has most of these so I suppose I'd still survive. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the MOOSE!! I wish I could find that awesome assortment of plastic animals..!!
    As for the TV..your seriously so brave! I love TV..sadly...

    ReplyDelete
  7. we didn't have cable for a few years (we wouldn't now but it comes with the apartment). we had one TV and it was used only when Jerrett was bored and he could watch DVDs. it was actually nice to have the quiet and we were forced to think outside the box when it came to what to do. we saved almost $800+ a year too! sadly, we're now couch potatoes but i find that the TV doesn't get turned on until late afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh- I'm jealous! When our cable went over $100 a month over a year ago. Hubby didn't agree but it sounds so lovely an option.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we don't do TV either. I expect your wondering by now how on earth you ever had time to watch it!! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you! I wish I was so brave. However, even if I cut off TV there's still the X-Box.
    I love the moose!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.