Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Mardi Gras!


I thought I'd make some cupcakes to celebrate Mardi Gras. More specifically, I made King Cupcakes-- a recipe from the cupcake calender I recently received from my best buddy Tia. The recipe originated from the book 500 Cupcakes. To read more about Mardi Gras, click HERE to find last year's blog post.
I used 2 brand new ingredients that I'd never used while baking: sweet butter & self rising flour.

Here is Pazely, waiting to lick the batter from the beaters. I STILL enjoy doing this!


Here are sugars in the traditional colors of Mardi Gras.
The frosting, I admit, was a bit tart. Simply lemon juice & powdered sugar. **insert puckered lip face** Not my favorite. I added LOTS of vanilla & a bit of butter to calm down the lemon.
The cupcakes were quite interesting. Not too sweet. Almost cornbread-ish.
I hid a tiny plastic baby inside one of the cupcakes, as is tradition in the King Cakes.
The girls & I delivered the King Cupcakes to family & friends this afternoon. They reminded me of lemon muffins. And though they may not have TASTED as sugary & sweet as a king cake, they looked SUPER cute. And that's the most important thing, right?
Click HERE for a traditional New Orleans King Cake recipe.
Have a happy Fat Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. Love em! We didn't do any Mardi Gras activities. This would be something I would do if I was home with just my guy instead of taking care of the zoo here each day! Somedays I'm surprised I can get anything done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so inspiring how much you do with your little ones. I am so thrilled to have kids just to do crafts and cook with them. Since they are two of my favorite things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gnummy gnummy.... so sweet!! So delicious!!
    I like your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never used self raising flour?!?! That's a cupboard staple here in the UK!
    We had traditional pancakes with lashings of lemon juice and sugar on them last night!
    I love reading about different approaches to the same holidays all round the world - we do pancakes - you do "King Cakes"
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.