Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer

BED IN SUMMER

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light,
In summer, quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet,
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

{found in my copy of "A Child's Garden of Verses" Copyright, 1929 Illustration by Eulalie}

4 comments:

  1. Robert L. Stevenson is one of my favorite poets and I love the book A Child's Garden of Verses. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great poem! My children are having the hardest time understanding why I am making them sleep when it is still light out! I think they secretly think I am making them go to bed early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this poem in a book growing up and it always made me feel vindicated in declaring the injustice of bedtime when it was still light out. I remember reading it, thinking, "exactly!! will someone PLEASE tell mom and dad!?!"
    and now i'm doing it to my kids! Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.