Saturday, May 22, 2010

Summer Break: Day 2

In the heat-heat-heat of the day, the girls & I found some shade & got to gettin' our hands dirty. We filled containers with soil & did some planting. We transplanted pumpkins, watermelons, sunflowers & wildflowers--all of which we started from seeds & had outrgrown their tiny pots on the windowsill indoors. I also planted a husky cherry red tomato, lavender seeds, & whatever the plant is in the picture below. Fox something I think? 
We'll eventually have to plant the pumpkins & watermelons in the ground but I'm not eager to do that just yet because we have bunnies all over our yard & I'm not sure how to shoo them away from our veggies. (Which is one reason why we're doing so many plants & flowers in containers this year.) I have read that they don't like lavender, which is why I'm growing some.
(And facebook fans will have already seen THIS PHOTO of Pazely with our adorable yard pests.)

I admit to being a lousy gardener & I don't have much hope that I'll keep these things alive. But I'll try my darndest because I love the thought of going outside to pick some tomatoes for a salad & enjoying the scent of lavender while basking in the sun on the porch. Not to mention the happy faces my girls will have in growing their own food & pretty flowers!

It felt so good to get outside on a beautiful day & pretend like we had green thumbs. The girls & I have more plants to purchase, more pots to fill. This was just the beginning of our vegetative adventures.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your garden!! We too have a garden planted! I think Jer & i are more excited about it than the kids though.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read that if you surround your garden with marigolds the rabbits will stay away from your veggies...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.