Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer Diary Day 27: Library Summer Reading Program


Dear summer diary,
Today was the 3rd week of the Library Summer Reading Program, & the girls' 2nd week going. (We missed the first week due to the fact that mommy was out of state & daddy just doesn't always do what mommy tells him to do.)
I love the library. And I love the Summer Reading Program. I just feel like a dunce that I had no idea--until last summer--that libraries do this sort of thing.
The kids get a story read to them, do a craft, have a snack, check out books, & take home activity pages. All the while being motivated to read, read, read & be creative in their literary adventures along the way.


This summer the theme is "One World--Many Stories". Last week they traveled Asia. This week they toured Antartica. And next week they're journeying to Australia. The kids have passports with their pictures inside & every week they have to check in with the "Travel Agent" & get their passport stamped. It's pretty cool. 

I love hanging out with them at the library every Thursday & snapping photos of all the kids, while also helping out on occasion.


This week we also started reading the "Little House" books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I only read one or two of the books as a little girl, so I'm excited to read the whole series with my girls. Although, I was forced to play "Little House on the Prairie" with my sister & cousins. We would bounce up & down on the "wagon" bed & someone always fell off. My sister was always Mary & I'm sure I was some made-up character.

I checked out a 'Little House' cookbook from the library too, so I'm excited to incorporate some of that with our Wilder stories.
Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.