Monday, August 1, 2016

Summer School: Week 7

It was a hot week here! Like, a suffocating hot. Not my favorite. 
These weeks of summer school are so much fun. In a way, it's kind of like a countdown. The summer days are going by too quickly though. Public school starts in one month! 
As I write this, I am enjoying a rare summer day moment alone. The Mr. has taken the girls to see the latest Star Trek movie. And it's nice to have some quiet. Some "me" time. I sit in my chair. I sip tea. I blog. I edit photos. I draw. I play my music too loud. 


MAKE SOMETHING MONDAY
The girls & I changed "Make Something Monday" to "Makeover Monday" this week. We gave each other makeovers. And, although there was a grumble or two from the smallest among us, we had a great time. (In fact, the little one had the most fun of all + ended up wearing the outfit I picked out for her *that she said SHE HATED & almost refused to put on* for 3 days in a row + didn't take out her French braids *complate with yarn accents* for even longer.)
We did it all: hair, makeup, clothes.
Zoey started officially wearing makeup at the beginning of 7th grade last year. (That's when my mom let me wear makeup.) She had JUST turned 13. And now little Pazely wants that same advantage as she enters 7th grade this year. I am freaking out. Because she is my little girl. And their comparison in ages entering 7th grade is quite different. Pazely will only barely be 12. I just can't handle that.
But we did come up with a simple makeup application that is so sweet & simple, & Pazely loves it: a pale peachy eyeshadow on her lower lids + mascara + a bit of rosy blush on the cheeks + colored lipgloss in a sparkly nudey peach. 


TIME TO READ TUESDAY
The girls checked out ALL the dog books at the library. Well, practically. They are very serious about wanting to get a pet. In fact, the girls prepared a PowerPoint presentation titled "Why you should let us adopt a puppy". They worked hard all week researching for HOURS in their makeshift (& un-airconditioned) closet/office, keeping it as secret as they could. They also crafted a piggy bank from an ice cream carton to hold funds, they watched videos, they found information from local shelters, & they made lists & charts. They have been asking for a dog since they were little. Always the Mr. said, "No." (And mommy, too, who would prefer a cat.) But after all their hard work on this presentation (which the Mr. & I viewed on the weekend) they were thrilled to hear these words from daddy: "Maybe."


WHAT'S COOKIN' WEDNESDAY
I've had this pin on my Pinterest board from Lady Behind the Curtain for a while.
So easy.
So fun.
So yummy.
I used regular Pillsbury cinnamon rolls (not the Grands size). And my waffle maker (which is a vintage hand-me-down & I love it!) did not have a lock on it. I just pushed down for several seconds & then let it do its thing. But we DID spray the heck out of the waffle-maker with non-stick cooking spray as suggested in the blog post & we had zero trouble with the cinnamon rolls sticking.
A couple days after our yummy breakfast, I saw a link on the Pillsbury website that suggested adding 1 CUP of powdered sugar + 3 TABLESPOONS milk + 1 TEASPOON vanilla to the icing that comes in the cinnamon roll tube so you'll have a bigger batch of glaze to drizzle over the waffles. Loved that idea!


THINKING THURSDAY
We experimented with making a rainbow in a jar from the blog Playdough to Plato. Lots of the ideas for our "Thinking Thursdays" are geared toward younger kids. But I don't care. We are having fun. And I like how simple a lot of them are. Sometimes I need simple. And all of them have been quick. Sometimes I need quick.


SOMEWHERE FUN FRIDAY
It was 105 degrees (F). My girls deserved a cool treat. 
I originally planned on taking them to get a treat at one of our local food trucks, which we've never been to before. But the trucks were all blocked off & trapped in chain link fencing in preparation for an upcoming concert later in the evening. Boo. So, at the girls' request, we splurged at Baskin Robbins. Two scoops each in a chocolate covered + sprinkled waffle cup.

To view all posts in our 2016 Summer School series, follow along HERE.

To see the pictures from our Summer School adventures so far, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.