Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Apricot Scone Mix

Enjoy this foodie craft tutorial!


I've received these jar mixes as gifts on a few occasions & I think they are super cool. I've never made one--until now! I'll be making this craft with my MOPS group (Mothers Of PreSchoolers) in the coming months. But, Fall is approaching & I thought that it would be a great way to welcome that lovely season that I call "favorite". And this morning when I woke up to a breezy & grey outdoors, I thought it was the perfect time to grab my jar of scone mix & bake up some warm breakfast treats for the girls & I.






INGREDIENTS:

-2 CUPS all-purpose unbleached flour

-1/2 CUP vanilla sugar** (I just used regular sugar.)


-1/4 CUP nonfat dry milk powder

-2 tsp baking powder


-1 tsp dried lemon peel

-1/4 tsp salt


-1/3 CUP shortening

-1 CUP dried apricots (or blueberries, cranberries, etc.)


INSTRUCTIONS:

Stir together flour, sugar, milk, baking powder, lemon peel & salt. Cut in the shortening using a pastry cutter or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Layer the dried ingredients & the apricots (or other dried fruit) into one-quart canning jar, tapping gently on counter between layers to settle before adding the next. (I just plopped my dry ingredients on the bottom & the fruit on top.) Stores at room temperature for up to six weeks, or freeze for up to six months.


**To make vanilla sugar, fill one-quart jar with sugar. Split vanilla bean in half lengthwise & add both halves to sugar. Flavor gets better after a couple of weeks, & it will keep as long as regular sugar.


I attached a circle piece of vintage fabric to the top of my jar with a rubber band. Then, to hide the band, I looped a piece of twine a few times around the top.


Print out the instructions for baking onto a gift tag. Attach it to the jar & you're done! It's ready for keeping OR gifting!

Now, to MAKE these goodies, simply dump the whole jar of stuff into a bowl...

..& add 1/4 CUP of water & 1 beaten egg.

Stir until just moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface... ...& quickly knead for 12-15 strokes or until nearly smooth.
Pat to 1/2" thickness.

Cut into desired shape & place 1" apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

Brush with milk. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until golden.

Transfer to a rack to cool slightly & serve warm.

I brushed my slice with butter & quickly consumed.



I got the idea from the June 2008 issue of Crafts 'n things. Recipe courtesy of Recipe Goldmine.

For other jar mixes, visit:

-The Recipe Link

-Heart4home.net

-All Free Crafts

3 comments:

  1. YUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!! awesome photos too

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow this sounds so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our MOPS crafty lady got me HOOKED on your blog. Love your ideas and let me tell you we are using them this year at our MOPS in NY! I have even made reference to your blog in my own blog...This recipes looks soooo yummy cannot wait to try it! Kara ~MOPS coordinator in Chittenango, NY

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.