Tuesday, March 16, 2010

King Louie


Last week my girl's & I found out some very sad news. A cat friend of ours passed away. Lou was my parent's pet & the girl's begged to take him home every time we visited. Lou got very sick & had to be "put to sleep".

I remember going to an animal shelter 13 years ago with my mom--& Lou picked us as his family. (When my mom held him, he clawed onto her shirt & wouldn't let go.) "Yeah, I guess we'll take this one."

He was our cat. He knew me before my hubby did. And he was a friend during a time in my life where I was broken & needed a good furry companion to comfort me.

I named him "Lou", short for "King Louie". But we all joked that it was short for "Lucifer". He was an evil little bugger at times.

Telling my girl's about this was heartbreaking. I've never seen such a sadness & pain consume my sweet Zoey in such an instant. My heart felt things it's never felt before. For some reason, it all made sense to Pazely. She associated Lou's recent grey speckles in his black fur as a sign of "getting old". And that, to a 5 year old, meant Lou's time on earth was nearing an end.

The girls & I drew pictures & wrote messages on balloons as our way of saying goodbye to Lou. We said a few words & then sent the balloons off towards kitty heaven.
We will miss you Lou.

11 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for all of you! Our dog is 11 years old and every day I whisper in his ear that he has to live forever because, 1. I don't want to lose him and 2. I can't bear the thought of my daughter losing him. Hugs and kisses all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you and the girls would appreciate the book Cat Heaven by Cynthia Rylant. Charming and sweet, we name all the kitties after our feline friends who have died

    ReplyDelete
  3. sadness... really like the balloon idea though...

    ((hugs)) to you & your girlies!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. I have an almost 18 year old kitty and each day I wonder when she'll be going on her merry way. I love the way you all honored him with messages on balloons. Very sweet!

    Hugs,
    Tamerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This simply made me cry. I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss. You can take heart in knowing he's in a better place now where he won't be in pain any longer, being a little angel watching over all of you. Hugs sent to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, my sympathies on your loss. I too, have had to let go of two long time loved kitties in the past year. The hardest part of loving pets is knowing they don;t live as long as you do.
    Please next time consider doing something other than releasing balloons. Plant flowers, take donations to an animal shelter, etc. Balloons burst, and pieces, the knot and the ribbon, fall back to earth and are sometimes mistaken for food by other creatures who can die from ingesting said pieces or the ribbon causing problems in their insides or they can get tangled in them , can't escape and die a horrible starvation death. Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer but just trying to protect other animals lives. You are so creative , as I've seen on your blog, I'm sure you can come up with some great ideas for memorials.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for your loss.


    What a great way to grieve and say your last goodbyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart hurts for you and your girls, but you know what? I think your balloon messages have to be the best goodbyes a kitty could get. King Louie was one lucky feline.

    P.S. I think your kids are going to be the most well adjusted, emotionally sound, creative individuals in the world. Seriously, I have such a "That's the kind of mom I want to be if I ever have kids" crush on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful way to have discussion about a loved one and remember all the happy/sad/silly things...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear, that made me cry....blessings to you all...

    ReplyDelete
  11. We do something similar here... on birthdays of our loved ones we write a note or notes, put them in a balloon and send it up to them in heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.