Monday, April 4, 2011

Iron-On Patch TUTORIAL

Using THIS tutorial, I made a screen. (It's the 4th screen I've made using this technique! Click HERE for my first experience with faux screenprinting.) After making several sketches I decided on a design.
I invited my friend Susan over to help with the printing. (I needed to make 100 patches as part of the goodie bags I was creating for the grand opening of ON3 Photography.)

We cut out all colors of felt to use as our canvas.

Pazely assisted. Very well, I might add. This ended up being a 2 person job!

Fabulously messy screen. (This was only after several inkings. 100 prints later? Yeah, super FUN mess!)

I let them dry overnight.

But first I washed the screen like a good crafty girl.

When they were dry, I added some stitching detail around the edges with my sewing machine. It was really fun mixing all the random colors of felt with different colors of thread.

Once sewn (& not pictured:), I ironed on some heat-n-bond to the backside & then cut around the corners & edges to create a clean line.The paper backing remains attached until ready for ironing on.

Labels were made & the patches were packaged up.

I've always wanted to make patches & it was a really great project to play with!


♥

17 comments:

  1. That is SO cool! I have 3 boys and kinda dismiss the idea of ever learning to sew since I don't know what that would look for boys....but PATCHES! I could definitely find use for using and making those! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's pretty amazing! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, can't wait to try this! Where did Susan get that fantastic t-shirt...me likey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kindra!
    I think she said she got it in Colorado?? But she's even seen 'em at truck stops. I found this link that sells them (though when I looked no picture was available):
    http://www.christiantshirtshop.com/g-aptsac.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Nikki,
    Do you have any extra that you can sell in your shop? I love these!!! Thanks, Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah--I am planning on adding some to the shop. Do you have a particular color you'd like?

    ReplyDelete
  7. they came out AWESOME!!!

    Yeah, I always get these crazy ideas to do multiples of something and by the third or fourth, I lose the thrill. I feel your pain.

    But they are wonderful. And I am sure they were much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you buy the packaging materials or make them? That's a great idea for a favor or a little impulse buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plastic bags were purchased at a craft store, but I printed the labels myself.

      Delete
  9. Every time i see you use this technique I think "I need to try this!" Maybe I finally will this spring/summer. FYI - you always make me smile - wish i could jump over to your crafty nights!
    amie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm having trouble finding the exact tutorial from threadbanger. It just goes to their main homepage on youtube. Could you please send the link? This sounds like so much fun, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, thanks for sharing! Nice project! May I know where which shop should I find the "heat and bond" materials? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ellis!
      heat & bond can be found at any fabric store or even Walmart.

      Delete
  13. Hello, Can you tell me about doing the multiple prints? Do I just have to cover with the ink for each print or do I have to also do the Modge Podge step for each print as well?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Johnna! The mod podge is only used to create the design on your screen. Once that's done, you don't need it again. After your design is dry, you're ready to start inking. Hope that helps!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.