Wednesday, September 10, 2008

MOPS

The theme for MOPS (Mothers Of PreSchoolers) this year is "Adventures in Mothering". The theme logo is a carnival with a giant roller coaster--- its wide turns, long loops, high climbs and deep plummets paralleling the sometimes turbulent, sometimes exhilarating ride of mothering. Our first meeting was yesterday & I got a few pictures to show. I purchased flowers & stuck them in small popcorn buckets for a few accents of carnival-chic decor. They're sitting on top of some laminated ticket placemats I made a few years ago.

We always choose a few names for prizes at every meeting, & this year--in county fair style--the names were written on the bottom of wee rubber duckies floating in a duck pond. The duck pulled from the pond is declared the winner!Here are the moms enjoying a round of "Speed Friendship". (It's like speed dating but without the butterflies & sweaty palms.) It's a great way to get to know other moms you might not otherwise get a chance to chat with! I know 60 second conversations aren't VERY meaningful, but still....it's better than the toddler talk I get all day.
And this month I taught the moms how to make the Shrinky Dink I.D. tags. I think they really enjoyed it. But then again, I wouldn't know because me & my saucy pits were shrinkin' dinks in front of a smokin' hot oven!

Our new Hospitality Crew went all out on the table decorations! It's fun because each table has a different theme. Here are the "Carasouel Cuties"....

...the "Dunk Tank Divas"....



...the "Cotton Candy Queens"...



& the "Popcorn Princesses".



The other moms posed with their children while taking pictures for the upcoming MOPS phone directory. But me? I took it to a whole....'nother.....level....


And I CAN'T believe I haven't mentioned this before now, but I'm going to the MOPS convention in Texas next month!! 3 other ladies from my group will be going also & we'll be gone for 4 days, beginning October 2nd. I can't wait to soak up some inspiration, laugh till my cheek muscles hurt, hear great speakers, get some awesome ideas, possibly meet some other zany moms & take LOADS of pictures!! I hate flying, so I'm already doing breathing exercises to prepare for my flight.

I'm totally practicing my Texan accent & I'm planning on teasing my hair big to celebrate my upcoming adventure! YEEEEEHAAAAAWWWW!

**Thanks Tia for letting me "borrow" some of your photos.

9 comments:

  1. Well now you really will think I stalk you! I AM GOING TO THE CONFERENCE TOO!! We will HAVE to meet up...not like there won't be thousands of people there or anything.

    Also LOVE the ideas for MOPS. We are actually doing the popcorn cups too and name tags similar to yours. We have steering tomorrow and our first meeting is next week! So excited for a new year!!!

    Looking forward to meeting you.

    Love, ONE of your fellow stalkers;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I found your blog through the MOPS international website and I now unashamedly steal your ideas all the time as I am in charge of creative activities for my local MOPS group. Thanks for even more great ideas on this last post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, that was hilarious! I had a friend who was in our local MOPS but it turned me off b/c they seemed to be so religious and the meetings are at a church so I didn't feel like it would be my thing.

    I spent two years of my life being involved w/ a very unrewarding MOMS Club where all I ran into were cliques and more cliques. Ick!

    I love the picture of you taking it to a whole 'nother level! OMG that was the best part!!!

    Your MOPS looks like a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can say that my MOPS group, honestly, ROCKS!
    I think you'll have those cliques wherever you go. And it's as much as you put into it how much you get in return. It's always hard for me to get to know other ladies. But this "Crafty Leader" role forces me to step out.
    I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. have fun in texas - it'll be HUGE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how much fun and how into it you all get, we have nothing like this in the Uk its a shame cause it looks like it rocks - as do you in your picture you hot mama.
    Wow away to texas woohoo for Nikki
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I contacted you back in the summer about painting plates as an idea for my MOPS group in St Louis. I am going to Dallas with 4 other of my steering team...maybe we will meet up! As a transplant from Texas, there are only three hairstyles in Texas...big, bigger, and biggest! blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey..Love your blog!
    Very cool to share all your WONDERFUL ideas fo MOPS stuff with all us biters.
    I'm a coordinator in NY....and BFF's with Kara, you're first commentor up there....LOL So I guess I'll stalk you now too.
    Keep it up girl!
    XOXO
    Joce

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the Creative Activities coordinator for MOPS for my local group in Vegas. Do you have any ideas or suggestions for name tags or centerpieces to go with our theme this year, Momology; the Art and Science of mothering?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.