Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pipe Cleaner Princess Tiara Tutorial

This is a tutorial I found in a book I recently borrowed from the library. I changed up some of the directions in the book. For example, the book says to use white pipe cleaners, coat them in glue & then sprinkle with glitter. BUT, I have found these fabulous silver pipe cleaners (a.k.a. chenille stems) at the dollar store & I have also seen gold ones.


So, anyway, the supplies you need are VERY minimal: 7 pipe cleaners & OPTIONAL: sequins or flat-backed jewels. I have used 12" pipe cleaners, the book calls for 10" ones. Either will work. My finished tiara was 5 1/2" tall & 3 1/2" across at the base.

You'll be making 3 separate pieces that will come together to make the tiara. For the FIRST piece, you'll take 5 pipe cleaners & bend them in half. Well, don't BEND them, but find the center point like this:

Then, make about a 1" loop at the top, twisting to secure.
Once all 5 pieces are done, lay them across each other like this....

Now, you'll twist the point where they meet. My finger is pointing to the area I'm talking about. Oh yeah, & I apologize in advance for my finger/thumb close-ups: hangnails, unkempt fingernails, etc.
The 5 pieces will look like this:


Now, for the SECOND piece. This will be the final top piece. Bend & twist ONE pipe cleaner like you did for the first 5, like this:


Now, you will twist 2 side loops...
...until it looks like this:

The THIRD piece will be formed by simply making a circle & twisting it to secure, like this:





Here is a picture of all 3 pieces:

For the piece with the 5 loops, you'll want to actually attach the ends to each other--twisting at the point where they intersect, just like you did with the other intersecting points.




Now take the bottom points & bend them up slightly, just about 1/2" or so.

Slip the circular piece onto all those little turned up bits. Does this make sense? The easiest way to do it is to actually secure one of the pip cleaners onto the circular piece & then you can slide all the other pieces around until you get them centered & even all the way around the tiara. When they are in the right spot, twist those turned up bits & secure them.



Your tiara might look wonky about now, so you can bend the tiara & form it to look nice & tidy.

Now, take the top piece & center it between two of the top loops. Secure this on by twisting the ends.


Take jewels or sequins & hot glue them onto your tiara.




I used bobby pins to hold the tiara onto my girls' heads.


You are now ready for your royal headgear. Rock on with your princess self!


16 comments:

  1. really cute tiara!
    I love your blog. and your playlist is awesome!

    ~kristine

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is rainy here in St Louis and hubby is out of town all week...Meredith and I may have to make a few of these for the "Fancy Nancy" book party at our library this Sat. Thanks for the directions! If you have not read any of this series, they are a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just found yr site and I am enjoying yr crafty adventures, and this tutorial makes me smile. have a great crafty week
    sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome! Now I need a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. saw you on the crafty crow... this is too cute and i have three girls so i'm sure many of these will be floating around very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tooo cute! We are definitely going to have to make one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I found you on Crafty crow. This is making me want to have little girls! Sigh.. guess I'll just have to make one for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable tutorial, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! Cute tute!

    We just made some tiaras for a birthday party & I think I found a little shortcut - I used transparent pony beads to create the loops and instead of twisting the stems together. It also saved using the hot glue gun with small people around :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. found you via Crafty Crow.......love the tiaras, made 15 of them for my little daisy girl scouts for our "Thinking Day" celebration..... everybody else who attended lurve.... them and thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute! Thank you for sharing the tutorial!

    Taylor
    www.maryjanesandgaloshes.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is too cute! I'm just popping back over to let you know I featured this post in a round up of DIY crowns for International Tiara Day coming up on Friday. http://www.creativegreenliving.com/2013/05/15-beautiful-diy-crowns-tiaras-to-make.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you know you did a great craft when a 2008 post is still being repin bed and referenced, I love these tiaras! ! I included this on my blog today along with 17 other kids activities! Happy new year! http://www.sohosonnet.com/crafts-and-diy/diy-holiday/new-years-eve-countdown-activities-for-kids/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.