Thursday, April 2, 2009

Clay.

With my no-clay-knowledge know-how I sat down & had some fun pretending like I knew what I was doing with this slightly squishy stuff. The fact is, I had no idea what I was doing. But here's another fact: I had TONS of fun! I'm working on an upcoming project for my MOPS group (Mothers Of PreSchoolers). Guess what we'll be making? Terrariums!! I was immensely inspired by Made by Mavis & those oh-so-cute ceramic mushrooms by mudpuppy. I have temporarily stepped into the world of miniature gardens & wee clay creations.
As you can see, I've thumbed my way through making some mushrooms, a faceless gnome (I was too afraid to add a face & make it look all scary) & other whimsy-like clay creations. I'm quite pleased & terribly excited about sharing this project with all the other moms at the meeting! They'll each get to choose a clay figure to add to their tiny enclosed handmade green world. (The gnome is mine. Hands off.)
Unfortunately the baking time takes too long for the moms to make their own little clay creatures at our meeting.
As I gather supplies & make a sample terrarium, I'll be sure & share pics with you.

Oh, & speaking of clay...I was asked to be a part of the Big Button Challenge by Lisa of Polka Dot Cottage! Lisa is quite the clay mistress. Her work is AMAZING! Her buttons are like candy. I've never been a part of any crafty challenge so I'm very happy to do this! I received my button in the mail yesterday. I love the pinks & greens & stripes & that's why I chose it. (I think my old vintage buttons are jealous of this new shiny handmade button.) Now, I have to come up with a clever creation for my button. I will reveal all in due time...

16 comments:

  1. Nikki, I absolutely adore that cupcake! (I like all of them actually!) They came out great for someone who 'doesn't know what she's doing!' :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the gnome is a little creept without a face... haha! And it's very hard to believe you don't know what you're doing, because it looks like you do!! You must be one of those people that does awesome on the first try. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're so clever! i love how you gave it a go even tho you hadn't tried before, and look at the results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is an owl nut! We love that little guy! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are darling! You did awesome for your first try. I have never worked with clay before and you go and make it look easy! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! I love the Owlie fella!

    To cut down on bake time - try making the core of the sculpture from crumpled up aluminum foil and covering it with thinner layers of clay. That way, you'll still have your shape and size, but you'll only have to bake for a fraction of time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look awesome :) Your soooo incredibly talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your clay creations! It's one of m favorite things to play with.

    I make all my friends' cake toppers for weddings and birthdays and such: http://madmadamimm.blogspot.com/2008/07/time-oh-dear.html

    Is it Sculpey? ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heather Rose--Those cake toppers are quite kooky & awesome! Love 'em!

    For some reason I have two different kinds of clay: Sculpey & Fimo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I consider clay to be a tricky critter... great work!

    Love them all (okay, the gnome scares me a little!)

    Sylvia C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are really cute, but be careful... one minute you're innocently making a few Sculpey critters, and next thing you know, you've got half of your dining room filled with clay supplies & tools and you're running a polymer clay book store out of your basement!

    Or maybe that's just me ;-)

    Oh, one word of caution: Sculpey is the easiest clay to work with, but also the most brittle after it's baked. Be careful with any small protruding parts, or they may just snap right off. I learned that one the hard way!

    Glad you like your button! That's one of my favorite color combinations, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the little owl...you are full of talent...keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CUTE! Those would look great in my dish gardens!

    http://thefernandmossery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just found you and I love your craftiness! I'm going to look over more of your posts but had to say these clay creations are super adorable

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh man, why did I never have a craft queen like you in my MOPS groups?!

    That button is SO YUMMY! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice on your sculpting abilities. not surprising as everything you touch always turns out perfect and precious in every way. =) how long are your MOPS meetings? if you are using primo or fimo polymer clay it shouldn't take more than 15 min per 1/4" thickness... but anyhow, love the terranium inspiration you've got going. SUPER cute! =) have a great week.
    (PS: what about holiday items? maybe the moms would enjoy little festive terranium items? just a thought.)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.