Sunday, September 4, 2011

On the menu...

I remember my mom making grocery lists when I was younger & she'd always ask for our input & ideas when trying to come up with meals for that week. I'm afraid we weren't really helpful. "I don't know mom. Just cook what you always cook." I was always certain whatever she cooked would be yummy & scrumptious. Except if it was split pea soup. Or something to do with saurkraut. Those weren't my favorites. Now, the creamed eggs on toast was a smashing hit. As was her lasagna. And chili.

Flash forward some twent-five years later, & I'm in the same predicament: can someone please help me put this grocery list together?? I ask my kids & hubby. And I get the same responses every week: it's either silence, or "I don't know's" or someone will suggest we eat banana splits for supper.

But now, I have Pinterest to aid where the fam cannot. I admit that most of the pins on my "Tasty Eats" board involve sweets & desserts, but there's other stuff in there too. And you can be certain it doesn't include one recipe for split pea soup!

So, here's what's on the menu for the next few days...

Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad (Made this last night. YUMMERS!! Served with THESE corn fritters, which have become a summer favorite this year.)
Zucchini Waffles (I love breakfast for dinner!)
Tater Tot Casserole (A family favorite & frequently cooked one-dish meal!)
Meatballs in Tomato-Basil Cream Sauce (This will only be the second time I've ever made meatballs! And these meatballs look super easy to make.) (UPDATE: The meatballs were soooo easy to make. My 8 year old made them! They were so moist & delicious!)
► Hoping to attempt this Rustic Plum Tart next week also.
► For Labor Day there will be some steaks a-grillin', along with a really yummy grilled potato salad. To make the potato salad: halve or quarter about 1 1/2 pounds of baby new red potatoes. Secure them in a foil packet: folding foil over & crimping edges to seal. Grill on your BBQ, turning over once, until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. (THEY TASTE AMAZING!!!! My kids wouldn't stop eating them!) Follow Step #2 HERE for the potato salad dressing.

When I was a kid, my family sat 'round the table & ate mom's lovely homecooked meals.
Every. Single. Night.
Though I'm not as awesome in the kitchen as mom was (& still is), & though I don't frequent the kitchen as much as she always did, I sure try my best.
Although, from the look of that menu, it appears that I'm well on my way to being awesome... At least for this week anyway.

2 comments:

  1. hahaah I think we are sisters, I have been doing the same! The grilled chicken and peach couscous was lovely but the roast broccoli wasn't up to much, let us know which recipes are worth the effort :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finding lots of yummy new recipes on pinterest too!!! Try that frenchtoast one I pinned yesterday, it was yummy!! Breakfast for dinner, & so easy in one dish! New foods excites me! can you tell!!! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.