Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Felt & Button Elastic Headband Tutorial

These are so simple & fun to make!! And they're perfect for Spring! Make 'em to match your Easter attire!

The supplies: scissors, pinking shears, small bits & scraps of felt, marker, thread, needle, buttons, thimble, headbands.

(About the headbands: I got mine at Target. They also come in pastel & other colors. Wish I'd had the lighter bands for this project, but I just used what I had!)
Draw various flowery shapes onto the felt.

Cut them out & choose a button for the center.


Stack your pieces together.


Simply stitch your pieces, stacked all together, onto the headband, sewing up & down through the buttonholes. You may or may not need a thimble here.

This is the back view.

The light pink flower was made by cutting out a sort of dogwood flower (or 4-leaf clover) shape & adding a small grey circle to the center, topped off with a pearly white vintage button.

For the brown/blue combo, I cut a larger organic blobby circle shape from tan felt & a smaller similar organic shape using a dark mustard colored felt. I cut three strips of light blue felt & snipped the ends into a "V" shape. I topped it with a vintage button which had a broken shank. After the felt pieces were sewn onto the headband, I just used E6000 to glue the button right on top.

All the felt floral embellishments for the headbands measure approximately 2 1/2" across.

Here's the 'WhiMSy love' girlies modeling the new sassy creations:

Happy Headbanding!

19 comments:

  1. Boy, this is soooo cute and fun to make! Definitely will try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, and easy to do, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some bitchin' stitchin' going on! Are you going to put these in your shop?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable!!! And since my sewing abilities are pretty much limited to button sewing, I can do this project!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute, easy and do-able, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute Nikki, really like how you showed us three different versions and I think the one you've got on is really fun for any grown up gal to sport on date night. I've seen those headbands and hot glued silk flowers on top but I like how the felt looks a lot too. Think I'll have to go snag some more, I think the neon colors would look fun and match a lot of my daughter's bright summer outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is fantastic. i sure wish they didn't give me headaches or i would have to report an addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously adorable, and I am SO making some owlie ones! ROCK!

    Oh, hey. You have an award awaiting you at my place. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute and easy thing to make. I will have to try this one day soon. Thanks for the tut!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are sweet! And seem simple enough that even I (with just the travel sew kit I own) can make them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like it! It's such a cute creations. Making those crafts are really fun! I will have to try this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How did I miss your cute tutorial this spring? I love that this project is great for little girls AND big girls!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These turned out GREAT when I made them - thanks so much for tutorial. Pics athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/iwannabcreative/3863068997/

    ReplyDelete
  14. My little girl is having a Springparty at school next monday (I live in South America) and she has to take school some allusive Sprng element to celebrate. I'm going to do this headbands and then show you the results!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are just beautiful for sharing this with us!! I'm so making these! And I'm heading over to see your store!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sweet and easy! Thank you for sharing, i love it!
    linked here:
    http://chiarahandmade.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-dal-web-fasce-per-capelli.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this tutorial. Thanks for sharing. I linked up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thank you for the tuto .i like to make for myself.nice to meet you...........

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.