Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bug Catcher Necklace Tutorial

**THIS PROJECT WAS FEATURED IN THE 2012 JUNE/JULY ISSUE OF FAMILY FUN MAGAZINE!!**
My 5 year old LOVES bugs. Any living creature gets her sweet heart humming really. Today she found a lady bug at church & had to hold it in her hand all the way home. All of a sudden I thought of those little plastic cases that house the 25cent gumball-style treats. And how cute it would be to have one of those around to hold bugs in. When we got home, I told Pazely my idea & she mentioned she wanted a necklace--so, we got to work right away! What fun we had creating our own bug catcher necklace!
The supplies: beading cord, scissors, beads, a small vending machine plastic capsule, a thumbtack & (eventually) a bug!
*The capsules I used were some that the girls had lying around. But here is a link for some really cute ones at Tiny Things are Cute. They're a bit different than mine, so I'm not sure if they'd "click" together like mine did & hold the bugs securely. The price is right though!
*UPDATE: Caryn, of Tiny Things are Cute, has informed me that, though the capsules in her shop will hold bugs, she does not think they will work for securely "clicking" & being used as a bug catcher pendant on this necklace project. Just an FYI. (I must find another project for those capsules of hers, because they're just so darn cute!)
First you'll want to poke little holes all over the lid of the capsule. And poke a larger hole right in the middle.

Thread one end of your beading cord through the large hole.

Now hold it around your neck & measure how long you'd like your necklace to be. Remember to leave about 1 1/2" at each end for knotting off the necklace.

String beads onto the cord.

When the beads are all strung, push the other end of the cord through the hole. I had to push it through with the tack.
Slide one more bead onto both pieces of cord & knot it a couple times to secure.

Insert bug, & you're done! We put a tiny snack of lettuce inside too.

Remember to not leave your bug in the catcher too long. Eventually let your buggy pet go free!
To see Zoey's necklace, click HERE.
Not so crafty-natured? Let US make YOU some Bug Catcher Necklaces! Click HERE! (And we thank you from the bottom of our buggy-lovin' hearts!)

25 comments:

  1. it's so cute! i love bugs, here in my country we calls them "coccinelle" and they gives good luck ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly. It's beautiful.. I will try it for my baby. Thanks Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog on the Crafty Crow. You have such cute ideas. I just wanted to let you know that ladybugs like raisins. My daughter doesn't like to let her's go, so I looked it up on the internet and it said they would eat softened raisins. (I microwave the raisins in a bit of water and then let them cool. They are nice and soft then) I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever idea!!! I need to find the creative juice you are drinking and get a gallon. And, your daughter looks so happy with her newest piece of jewelry. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well gesh..I would have never thought of that..what a very cute idea...cute little model too....Love your blog

    visit me at ...deedeescraftspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, another great idea! I love that you involve your kids in the process too. Hope you get to the pottery place this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute and my daughter would LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that idea. My kids will think this is great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are BRILLIANT!! what a truly CLEVER little necklace! Thank you so very much for sharing your AWESOME ideas!! i must admit, i showed my DH and he said it was BRILLIANT and wants to know why you aren't our governor!!! lol Have a MARVELOUS day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this idea, I just bookmarked it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy Moley is this an awesome necklace you made! I have been wondering what to do with all those little containers, not to mention how to minimize all the tiny containers all over the house filled with terrarium homes for creatures. You have just become my new best friend. xoxPeggy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Argh! That is so, so cute and clever. I love it! And I want one! And I want to go back in time with it and spend a long summer day putting things in it then taking it out. So fun. Thanks tons, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. too cute. I could see my dd using it to just carry alittle treasure around with her. And I have an idea of a fairy in the pendent, since I have a cute little fairy charm. will have to look to see if we have one of those little containers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun idea! Thanks so much for posting!! I think it would make a great addition to a birthday party favor bag too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is an amazing craft, and is exactly what I was looking for. I linked you from my blog, and wanted to say thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm joining everyone in thanking you for this idea. We just made some for stocking stuffers and I'm so in love with them. I can't wait to try a lot of the ideas here soon, especially the fairy doors.

    Hope your holidays are lovely, despite the move!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I linked you tutorial today with one of your photos, hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I used your tutorial & linked it in my post!!

    Thanks for the great idea!

    http://m0mmy-x3.blogspot.com/2010/04/bug-catcher-necklace.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truly it is very beautiful. I liked your idea of making necklace yourself. My little daughter loved this necklace and I want to make similar one for her.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweet necklace :) a perfect gift for kids who love bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is great! I love how it incorporates traditionally girl and traditionally boy things into one awesome project! Thanks for this idea, I'll be keeping it in mind as my daughter grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a great idea!! My daughter has requested a "chasing fireflies" birthday. Do you know if you used the small 1" capsules or if they were bigger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were about 1" tall. (I love fireflies!!! Have a fun birthday!!)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.