Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Newspaper Crowns

After being inspired by the bounty of children's crafty books I recently borrowed from the library, this is the first project I attempted. Today is Pazely's REAL birthday, & I thought it only appropriate we make some party crowns.

The project simply calls for newspaper. That's it. BUT, the girls & I painted a watercolor wash over ours to make things a bit more schnazzy. You can do your painting before the crown is cut out, or after.

Crease your paper as seen in the picture. The folds should be at the top & left side. Measure 6 inches in...


...& cut all the way up.

Now lay your paper flat so you'll have a doubled piece of newspaper, approximately 22" long x 6" tall, with a fold at the bottom. Fold that in half, from short end to short end. Keep folding the paper this way until you end up with a folded bunch that's about 1 1/2" across.

Measure 2" down & you'll be cutting from that mark diagonally across. See the shaded area? That will be chopped off.


Like so. You can also create a rounded corner by arching your diagonal line.



Right under that 2" mark, you can cut out a design if you like. Half a heart, half a star, half a diamond or circle, etc. Once you cut it & open it up, the whole design will be revealed.
Like so.



Now wrap the crown aruond your child's head (or your head) & staple in the appropriate spot to hold the crown in place. (Don't staple it TO the head though.)


You can decorate with gems & jewels if you want.


Then let the royal riot begin!




The star one would look cute painted red, white & blue for the 4th of July!



P.S. Oh, the book I learned this from is called "50 Ways To Have Fun With Old Newspapers" by Bill Severn

P.P.S. Happy Birthday Pazely!!

9 comments:

  1. how adorable is that!?! And I love the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ran across you blog, and it's beautiful!! I teach parenting classes and I know I can hijack some of your ideas to use with my parents and kids. Thanks for the inspiration.
    ~Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beautiful thing about this project is that it's so easy, it's green - and it's sooo old school! I love me some fancy craft supplies (who doesn't?!) but this is so simple and so effective. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea! I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome! I love how you painted them. I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea...we tried this at playgroup today and had lots of fun with it. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like the girls love these! I have to look for that books now. I linked over from crescendoh.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.