Friday, July 25, 2008

Molded Crayon Tutorial


Today I had some more crayon fun! This time, I made crayons inside shaped molds--like a candy or candle mold. An ice cube tray would also work. This process is a little more involved than the muffin tin method, but it's still fun.
You'll need to gather tin cans. I also used one of the many rectangular shaped flavored coffee tins I have laying around. Peel your crayons & break them into bits. Toss the pieces into your cans.




You'll be creating a makeshift double boiler. Fill a saucepan with water & set your cans, filled with crayons, inside. I didn't have very many crayons inside my cans, so they kind of bobbed around. That's OK. Bring the water to a boil & then simmer.



I used a plastic knife to slightly stir the crayons & make sure the chunks were melting.




When your crayons are melted, get ready to pour them into your molds. The cans will be SUPER hot, so be careful & use a hot pad or oven mit. I found an inexpensive mold at the thrift store. This design wouldn't have been my first pick if I had a choice, but it does scream "summer!" so that's cool.


Now don yer mitts & pour away. Make sure it's on a flat surface. Those blue dollops on the mold are from the previous owners candle mess.


Let the mold set for several minutes. I poured a few colors into the dolphin mold. In using this method I found that the colors weren't as swirly & cool looking in the end product as they were in the muffin tin method. You COULD pour in a few different colors in the same mold & get a similar "swirly" look though. I think that was my problem--melted crayons burning my fingers in one hand, & the camera in the other.



Here's a view of the bottom as they're drying. Set the mold in your fridge or freezer until the crayons completely harden. Your molded creations will come right out when they're done!


Ta-Da!! I'm happy with the way they turned out! I'm definitely thinking of favors in goodie bags for kid's parties---you can get molds in a numerous amounts of designs. Oooh...what about a cupcake crayon????!!! I'd have waxy colored teeth for sure.

3 comments:

  1. This is an awesome tutorial, thanks for posting! I can't wait to make some for my 3 year old - she HATES broken crayons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY cool!!! I love that!! I hate to have the crayons all broken! What a great idea!!! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey we are going to make these using a candy mold. I couldn't remember who had the tutorial and look who it is.... YOU! Can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. Every time you do, I do a little happy dance. For reals.